UM Campus Dining (UMCD) is an international award-winning, self-operated, collegiate foodservice department. Among other accomplishments, UMCD has developed the very successful UM Farm to College Program, and has become a nationally recognized leader in sustainable business practices. Our creative chefs and culinary team have won numerous recipe contests and cooking competitions. As a staff member with UM Campus Dining, you will receive the resources and encouragement to develop and excel professionally. UM Campus Dining is comprised of a variety of food operations from a casual bistro to fine dining catering and includes residential dining and concessions.
UM Campus Dining is currently seeking candidates for an exceptional career opportunity. The Chef de Cuisine will produce a wide variety of food from casual coffee services to plated fine dining for 600. They will join a team of award-winning professionals who make up the best catering team in the state.
The successful candidate will be a visionary leader who is proactive, creates a positive work environment, communicates effectively, promotes individual growth, and acts with integrity. The chef de cuisine works directly with other catering staff and assists in the development of menus and strategic culinary directions for the team. The chef de cuisine will develop and maintain effective working relationships with various campus departments including the Office of the President, Office of the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Affairs, the University Center administration Office, and others.
We are seeking a foodservice professional who has experience with:
- Development of on-trend culinary options.
- Menu development and production of high-quality food and dining experiences.
- Upper-level management and supervision of staff.
- Experience and interest in developing menus and recipes using local foods.
- Creating, planning and executing special events for our VIPs and student guests.
- Training and developing culinary professionals.
- Effectively communicating through written and verbal formats.
- Microsoft Office Suite, time accounting software, point-of-sale devices, and computerized food management systems (CBORD, Computrition, Aurora, or similar).
Minimum Required Experience
- Associate’s degree in culinary arts or a bachelor’s degree in a hospitality or food service management program paired with commensurate culinary experience and a minimum of three (3) years of related and transferrable foodservice experience with fiscal and personnel responsibilities and a proven track record of innovation and refinement. Candidate must possess a minimum of three (3) years of combined experience in fine dining and/or high-volume foodservice. Leadership and management experience and training is required.
About the University of Montana
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014. Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
Position Title: Chef de Cuisine
Position Number: 097970
Department: UM Dining - Catering
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), typically 8 am to 5 pm, 12 months/year.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Wednesday, May 18, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online at https://bit.ly/3u7a4dm
Step 5 "Attachments" in the online application process is where you may upload additional materials. Up to five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
*Please note, only five (5) attachments allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
- Supplemental Questions – respond to the questions below Please provide as much detail as possible
- Please describe how your professional education, training, and work experience has prepared you for this executive chef position.
- Please describe a current food trend which you are passionate about. Tells us how you are using this trend in your current or last position.
- Why are you interested in this position at this point in your career?