Catering & Event Sales Manager
(Vacancy Announcement # 21-027)
SERIES & GRADE: NF-1101-03
TIER SECURITY LEVEL: Tier One – Non-Sensitive
OPENING DATE: April 28, 2021
CLOSING DATE: May 19, 2021
Flexible (0-40 Hours per Week, Non-Benefited)
Naval Academy Business Services Division
The role of Catering Account Executive for NABSD is a hands-on role and will be involved in the day to day running of the catering operation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES (KSAs) for this position are as follows:
1. Minimum of three years of experience in menu development to include costing and marketing in the catering industry, negotiating catering contracts, and execution of catered events from set up to break down
2. Three years of experience in catering banquets, luncheons, meetings, weddings, dances and other social events
3. Must possess outstanding organizational and communication skills
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Promotes, advertises and markets the club’s social events, facilities, and capabilities to all members
• Helps member clients arrange banquets, luncheons, meetings, weddings, dances, and other social events; obtains pertinent information needed for guest planning
• Provides guest tours and offers suggestions in efforts to sell the club’s facilities for various planned occasions
• Works with the executive chef to determine selling prices, menus, and other details for catered events; oversees the development of contracts; assures that pre-planned banquet menu offerings are current and reflect general member interests
• Suggests and help guest plan menus in conjunction with the executive chef or other culinary personnel
• Transmits necessary information to and coordinates event planning with production, serving and housekeeping staffs, arranges for printing of menus, procuring of decorations and entertainment and other special requests
• Inspects finished arrangements; may be present to oversee the actual greeting and serving of guests
• Check function sheets against the actual room setup; oversees personnel scheduling for special functions and may help supervise service personnel
• Oversees scheduling and may help supervise service personnel
• Handles client complaints
• Maintains past and potential client files; schedules calls or visits to assess ongoing needs of prospective clients for catering services
• Helps develop catering budget; reviews financial reports and takes corrective actions as appropriate to help assure that budget goals are met
• Helps guests with parking, entertainment, decorations, audio-visual, floral and any other requirements integral to events being planned
• Represents members’ needs and interests on applicable club committees.
• Obtains necessary permits for special events and functions
• Arranges prompt payment for all events
• Critiques functions to determine future needs and to implement necessary changes for increased quality
• Attends management meetings to review policies and procedures, future business and to continually develop quality and image of banquet and catering functions
• Tracks new products and trends in food service and catering applicable to the club
• Ensures the security of valuables (Club’s, guest’s and member’s property) during catered events
• Serves as liaison between kitchen, service and management staff
Please complete our online application to be considered:
Explanation of employment preferences is available on the NABSD Website. No preference is given unless requested and documented. Acceptance or declination of a regular position ends ability to claim preference for spouse or Involuntarily Separated (IVS) applicants. To claim a preference, you must attach the following documents with your employment application and request form:
• Military Spouse: most current military member's PCS orders, submit spousal request form and write SPOUSAL PREFERENCE on front page of the application
• Veteran: Page four (4) of the DD-214
• Involuntary Separated Military Members and Dependents: page four (4) of the DD-214 or copy of DD-1173 and write "IVS" on front page of the application. IVS preference is approved only if discharge/reentry code matches eligibility list.
Note: Failure to provide the required information may result in you losing consideration for the position and your elimination from the selection process. Please be advised that application received after the closing date listed above will not be considered. Applications and resumes will not be returned to the applicant.
Some positions have special requirements. In these cases selection is tentative pending satisfactory completion of these requirements. Applicants may be required to provide proof of education, etc. All selections are contingent on obtaining satisfactory employment reference checks.
We are an E-verify participant.
Please be informed that applicants will be required to submit a federal government background check.
As a condition of employment, the selectee will be required to participate in direct deposit/electronic fund transfer as specified in the negotiated agreement.
Occupants of this position must maintain the privacy of official work information and data, and demonstrate the highest level of ethical conduct.
The Department of the Navy is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, set, national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factor.