Living on campus adds tremendous value for students and the University. Students who live on campus their first year have higher grades, are retained at the University of Oregon at higher rates, graduate at higher rates and graduate more quickly.
University Housing, a department within the Division of Student Services and Enrollment Management, is committed to facilitating students’ development as they build an inclusive community, establish a sense of home, and succeed academically. Our goal is to become the model of excellence for providing accessible, affordable, and student-centered living-learning experiences; the preferred choice for all UO students.
We value diversity and respect, integrity, equity and inclusion, learning and growth, responsibility and accountability, safety and security. University Housing staff work hard to incorporate these values into daily work and practices to ensure an excellent UO experience.
University Housing units include Business Services, Dining Services, Facilities Services, Promotions & Student Recruitment, and Residence Life. University Housing is a $68 Million educational and business department that is a self-sustaining, self-liquidating agency of the University (receives no tuition or tax support for its operating budget).
The Associate Director of Food Services provides operational expertise, coordination, and supervision for multiple operations including full-service dining centers, multiple retail food service operations, catering and conference services spread over several buildings at the University of Oregon. Reporting to the Director of Food Services, this position supervises and provides leadership and guidance to dining managers in assigned areas to enhance a service-oriented program exceeding expectations through exceptional service and quality control.
Additionally, this position assists with annual budgets, computerized food service management and point of sale systems, operations, reporting, and future planning for the department. This position is responsible for operations generating approximately 30 million in annual sales.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, food service/culinary/hospitality management or related field, OR an equivalent combination of education and strong demonstrated food service management experience.
• Ten years of progressively successful high volume food service management in environments such as business/industry, hotel/resort, college/university, or multi-unit restaurant food service operations.
• Supervision of professional Food Services staff and ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative supervisory and colleague working relationships.
• Demonstrated strong ability to work collaboratively with others in a diverse environment.
• Experience with analyzing and resolving conflict, team building, group dynamics, and problem-solving skills.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including interpersonal, organizational, intercultural, one-on-one, in small and large groups.
• Demonstrated ability to foster and work in a dynamic, highly collaborative, team-oriented environment.
• Ability to think creatively and identify opportunities for improvement.
• A demonstrated commitment to diversity and the ability to develop an inclusive environment for staff, customers, partners, and visitors.
• A high standard of integrity and excellent judgment; and adaptability, flexibility, and a collegial and engaging interpersonal style.
• Demonstrated ability to be innovative in shaping programs and services.
• Familiarity with national trends supporting University dining.
• Master's degree in Business Administration.
• Experience leading change in a residential public educational food services setting.
• Strong culinary knowledge base through education, ACF Culinary certification, or equivalent certification and/or work experience.
• Demonstrated record of Food Services administration, including experience in program assessment and strategic planning; proficiency with organizational development and managing organizational change.
• Demonstrated experience in hiring, training, mentoring, motivating, and supervising a large and diverse staff.
• Demonstrated excellent organizational and administrative skills, including budget management and contract negotiation.
• Experience managing a unionized food service staff.
• HACCP Certification or significant experience working within a HACCP plan.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your online application, please upload a cover letter, resume and responses to the following supplemental questions.
• Describe innovative ideas, programs, and/or services you have personally initiated in a high-volume food service environment.
• Describe what is meant by having a commitment to diversity and the ability to develop an inclusive environment for staff, customers, partners, and visitors.
Application Review Begins
May 14, 2021; position open until filled