UC Davis Medical Center
Pediatric Dietitian, Per Diem
Salary Range: $51.55 Hourly
The Per Diem Dietitian provides medical nutrition therapy for pediatric and adult patients in inpatient and outpatient areas, in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team. Primary responsibilities include nutrition assessment, nutrition diagnosis, nutrition intervention and evaluating patient response to nutrition interventions. This position coordinates nutrition services with patient food services and the patient care team and participates in multidisciplinary team and department committees and projects. The Per Diem Dietitian contributes to the dietetic internship: acts as a preceptor for dietetic interns, teaches assigned classes, and may participate in curriculum development for an assigned area. May participate in promotional or community activities for UC Davis Health. Participates in compliance and performance improvement activities. Maintains professional competence.
• Applicants are encouraged to upload license and certification if required of the position.
• Registered Dietitian (RD) or Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
• Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required based on area assignment within 3 months of hire or upon an assignment change requiring BLS.
• Nutrition BS or equivalent or MS Degree in Nutrition.
• Successful completion of a didactic program in dietetics and supervised practice experience, approved or accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
• Maintenance of continuing education: meets requirements of Commission on Dietetic Registration and focuses professional development in areas relevant to job assignment or career goal.
• Strong academic background and applied background in clinical nutrition.
• Knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy principles, including enteral and parenteral nutrition support.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills with peers, patients/families, multidisciplinary team members, and dietetic interns.
• Effective teaching skills as preceptor for clinical experience as well as teaching group classes for interns, health care professionals, and the public.
• Works collaboratively with others. Ability to work productively with people who have both similar and different backgrounds.
• Strong organization and time management skills, with ability to accomplish work that meets expected quality standards without direct daily supervision.
• Ability to solve problems and make decisions through critical thinking process.
• Computer skills including word processing and spreadsheet software. Ability to learn and effectively and efficiently use computerized patient applications.
• Work experience or majority of clinical training in a large teaching hospital/academic medical center.
• Experience teaching and supervising dietetic interns or other students.
• Multiple years’ experience, with at least one year of acute care.
• Pediatric work experience or extensive pediatric clinical nutrition training.
• Experience using electronic medical record.
• Must be willing and able to work variable shifts (including weekends and holidays), hours, and to rotate to various units/buildings/areas to meet the operational needs of the Department.
• Must be able to travel to hospital clinics and Primary Care Networks.
• Must be able to work variable days and hours.
• This position may be subject to a criminal background investigation, drug screen, Live Scan fingerprinting, medical evaluation clearance, and functional capacity assessment.
The University of California has implemented a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Policy (ucop.edu) covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, employees must submit proof of vaccination or a University-approved exception or deferral.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at:
Job ID #31677
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer