Dining Supervisor 2
University of California Merced
$58,400 - $64,200
Job Closing Date
Initial applicant review will begin on or around August 5, 2022. Posting may close any time after that without notice.
About UC Merced
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With more than 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration, and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable, and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities for highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project nearly doubled the physical capacity of the campus, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.
To set the course of UC Merced's evolution, in 2021 UC Merced will enact its first-ever 10-year strategic plan. This plan will guide how the values of equity and justice influence our pathway toward earning Carnegie R1 research status, growing enrollment, upholding our identity as a minority-serving institution, and operationalizing how commitments to equity, diversity and inclusion are enacted within each campus unit. UC Merced is expected to engage in sophisticated thinking, planning, and implementation of actions that effectively diversify the professoriate and staff, improve campus climate for all campus constituency groups, and strengthen our equity, diversity, and inclusion infrastructure and capacity.
About the Job
The Dining Food Service Supervisor 2 will be responsible for supervising the day-to-day operations of the Dining Department in areas for which they are assigned. This includes but is not limited to; supervision and leadership, culinary production, customer service support, vehicle maintenance, food safety and sanitation, cost controls, purchasing, food and material storage, maintenance and repair of food service production equipment and facilities, service systems and quality control.
The incumbent will have the skills necessary to provide support to the dining operations to ensure quality of service. Incumbent will also provide department-wide support for auxiliary services for large campus events or whenever needed.
Working under strict deadlines and budgetary expectations, all Food Services Supervisors within the operation will work together to ensure the success of the operation. All Food Services Supervisors serve as key members of Dining Services Management and are responsible for all Dining operations as assigned.
General Supervision, Administration and Customer Service
• Closely supervise, coach, motivate & effectively direct the staff and student Dining workforce. Tasks include, but are not limited to; assigning work, training & development, performance management (including completing annual performance evaluations), ensure that policies and guidelines are followed, resolving complaints and grievances, scheduling, hiring, time tracking and approval.
• Organize and implement training of new staff and students assigned to the dining operations based on operational guidelines. Develop and maintain training manuals for each work location and follow up with all employees to ensure that standards are being upheld.
• Ensure standards of customer service are being upheld by all staff and students assigned to the dining operations.
• Responsible for the implementation of personnel policies & procedures.
• Ensure standards for policies and procedures are being upheld.
• Provides direction to employees according to established policies and management guidance. Administers policies that directly affect subordinate employees. Recommends changes to unit or sub-unit policies and practices. Identifies risks and responds accordingly.
• Participate in hiring committees for the department and the campus.
• Assess job safety and tasks to prevent injuries on a continuous basis.
• Ensure customers receive the best quality service and products at all times.
• Maintain all customer relations via email and in person as necessary.
• Facilitate tour groups dining in the facility with the Visitor's Center to ensure quality of service for all customers.
• Coordinate summer conference groups.
• Maintain menus and signage in the facility to best inform customers.
Food Safety & Sanitation
• Ensure staff and students are consistently following food safety standards at all times.
• Provide backup in recording holding temperatures of food on the service line.
• Be knowledgeable of food safety standards and hold self and others accountable.
Cash Handling/Operations Supervision
• Supervising operations by assuring that service & product offerings meet needs and cost efficiency.
• Responsible for the adherence to campus and Dining Services accounting and cash handling policies and procedures.
• Responsible for the adherence to policy & goals of purchasing activity of Dining Services.
• Assist in long range strategic and /or operational planning and goal setting through comprehensive operational and financial analysis of existing contract operations and the identification and analysis of new business opportunities.
• Ensure the Dining operation cash float is accurate on a daily basis.
• Coordinate with Managers to ensure all cashiering staff are trained on the appropriate cash handling policies outlined by the University and Dining Services.
• Assist with the reporting of cash for all revenue centers and the reconciliation of cashier/revenue center reports and deposits.
• Provide schedules for front house cashier to provide quick and efficient service to all customers.
• Ensure POS is functioning at all times and that all staff are knowledgeable of systems and any emergency procedures related.
• Ensure the upkeep of all food service equipment and the facility to maintain full operational ability. Ensure maintenance is scheduled, as needed.
• Assist with the maintenance and organization of all areas within the operation.
• Maintains and coordinates upkeep and repair of Dining operations for Facilities as assigned.
• Manage both on site and off site storage of equipment and supplies.
• Provide training and support for cases of emergency in which food provisions are needed to the campus until outside assistance is available.
• Establish preventative maintenance procedures to ensure that all equipment and Facilities are upheld and provide a safe working environment.
• Uphold Pest Control Services as needed and as a preventative measure.
• Within the Zero Waste goals for the campus, participate in projects to reduce waste
• Maintain all Dining Services vehicles and ensure all employees are abiding by campus and state regulated policies.
• Enforce the budget outlined and specified to provide the best cost for value and service of food products to customers.
• Analyze cost savings and efficiencies utilizing customer count reports, profit/loss reports, velocity and sales reports and adjust menus based on season pricing issues.
• Maintain programs to monitor food production and keep food waste to a minimum.
Culinary and Production Support
• Ensure that all food prepared meets strict standards for freshness and quality.
• Monitor production in each station/work area to ensure standards are consistently met and to keep food cost down.
• Ensure food quality and safety standards are maintained to fall within public health standards working in cooperation with campus Environmental Health & Safety.
• Oversee food production and maintain recipe catalog to assist with training and maintain consistency and quality of service.
• Assist in testing new recipes and cooperate in menu planning and development under the supervision of the Executive Chef.
• Ensure all equipment is maintained to meet quality and health and safety standards.
• Meet with vendors to ensure unit is keeping up to date on trends and to get the best pricing possible.
• Works as a team member with other departments and campus managers to effectively achieve the goals and objectives of Dining Services.
• Participate in campus-wide programs for staff development and in industry related organizations.
• Work with an ethnically diverse student body and staff and ensures understanding, respect and value of diversity in the workforce and with customers and other constituents of Dining.
• Develop, promote and adhere to safety rules, standards and techniques as an integral part of the business.
• Work as a team player to ensure that all Dining and Auxiliary operations are successful.
• Affirms and implements the departmental strategic plan by designing goals and objectives that relate to the vision statements.
Purchasing and Merchandising
• Maintain par levels and keep items stocked on a daily basis to maintain quality of service.
• Oversee weekly inventory of food and supplies which includes dishware for service and production.
• Train and oversee staff to ensure that quality of service, portion control, food presentation and health and safety standards are being upheld.
• Coordinate and schedule deliveries with vendors working with campus Transportation and Parking Services and ensuring that product is delivered in a timely manner.
EDUCATION and REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelor's degree and 3 years of directly related experience or 7 years of related, experience and education.
• Valid driver's license and clean driving record.
• Pass criminal background check.
• Must be able to work night and weekends.
• ServSafe certification required or must be obtained within 60 days of hire.
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Two years university food service lead or supervisory experience or equivalent. (Preferred)
• Working knowledge of safety and sanitation in food preparation in accordance with HAACP standards.
• Demonstrated skills in marketing, merchandising and inventory management.
• Experience with Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Ability to perform basic mathematical equations.
• Ability to successfully communicate in English - read, write and follow oral and written instructions.
• Accuracy in handling money; knowledge of handling checks and credit cards.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of people.
• Bilingual in Spanish, preferred.
• Expert knowledge of dining center operations and procedures is required for both front of the house and back of the house operations.
• Experience in or solid knowledge of safety and sanitation in food preparation in accordance with HAACP standards.
• Experience in supervising and scheduling staff, including professional staff and students.
Background check and fingerprinting will be required.
How to Apply:
An online application is required for each position to apply.The University of California, Merced is aware that some web-based application processes may be cumbersome for differently abled applicants. Where appropriate, alternative accommodations will be provided. For applicants with disabilities who need additional assistance using TAM, or reasonable accommodations during the interview or search process, please contact mailto:email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California, Merced is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, pregnancy, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or other protected categories covered by the UC Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Policy. UC Merced intentionally promotes and maintains a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace by demonstrating it neither condones nor tolerates employment practices that discriminate against or harass any person or specific group of persons on the basis listed above. We seek candidates who will support our vision to cultivate a vibrant, equity-minded, inclusive excellence university community. When applying to UC Merced, we strongly encourage you to reflect on our Principles of Community and our 2021 strategic plan.
Vaccination Program Policy:
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. For new University of California employees, the applicable deadline is 14 days after their first date of employment.
Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy:
The University of California, Merced is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu.
All employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule:
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University of California visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/3296836
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.