- IU Dining supports the goals and mission of Indiana University by providing a professional and welcoming atmosphere with excellent customer service, affordable options, and innovative cuisine to a diverse university community. Please visit the IU Dining website for more information.
- The Indiana Memorial Union (IMU) has been the heart of the Indiana University Bloomington campus for more than 100 years. Each year thousands of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests enjoy the many amenities and opportunities the IMU has to offer.
- Great opportunity to work at IMU!
- Supervises production staff in the use of worksheets and recipes; instructs cooks in the proper preparation procedures. Trains employees on efficient and proper use and care of food service equipment and proper standards of portion control, safety, food quality, temperatures, and visual appeal.
- Coordinates the process of standardizing recipes used in the preparation of menu items. Prepares samples of test recipes, new products, etc. for various audiences. Keeps current with products, trends, and equipment.
- Develops detailed procedures and methods of handling, preparing, and service food products; incorporates those procedures in the standardized recipe file.
- Monitors facility production efficiency. Coordinates and/or participates in the production of foods services as scheduled or as requested by the Director or Associate Director of Dining Services.
- Occasionally takes on special projects, including new menu or venue creation, use of new technology or methods, research and development related to culinary trends, nutrition-related projects, etc.
- Assists the Chef and management in the day-to-day operations of the main kitchen and related units.
- High school diploma or GED.
- 2 years of Commercial or institutional food service experience.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
- Food Safety (ServSafe) certification within 180 days from hire.
- Certification from an approved culinary arts school.
- Ability to work in a safe and efficient manner.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations.
- Knowledge of professional cooking principles.
- Ability to respond to common food inquiries or complaints from customers and take appropriate action to resolve issues.
- Ability to work comfortably in a group environment, treat employees and customers with kindness and respect.
- Ability to be a flexible team player in a dynamic environment requiring a customer focused approach and utilizing excellent interpersonal skills, communication, facilitation and coaching skills.
- Ability to maintain acceptable standards of personal hygiene.
- Ability to react in a positive manner in stressful situations.
This position requires tasks typically associated with back-of-the-house food service work. It involves periods of both sedentary work and times of frequent movement about the workspace. Using commercial kitchen equipment and tools, moving supplies and effective communication skills are necessary. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University’s Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.
Apply For This Position
Please apply for this position via jobs.iu.edu