We are hiring for 3 Unit Chefs within NC State Dining for the following areas:
- Talley Student Union – manage all of the culinary aspects for Talley Pavillions, One Earth and 1887 Bistro at Talley Student Union
- Terrace Restaurant – manage all of the culinary aspects for the Terrace Restaurant at the Lonnie Poole Golf Course.
- On The Oval – manage all the culinary aspects for On The Oval on Centennial Campus.
Responsibilities include scheduling and supervising production staff; developing menus and food production; maintaining the highest of culinary and sanitation standards in all food areas, including the kitchen, serving line and display stations.
The Unit Chef plans daily food production and assigns staff accordingly; ensures that the food is cooked according to the set recipes and utilizes culinary expertise to present food in an attractive manner. This includes preparing daily production sheets and verifying preparation amounts for accuracy; coordinating the flow of food in the unit; communicating with staff to ensure adequate amount of food is prepared following departmental guidelines for controlling overproduction.
- Previous food service experience
- Must be proficient in the use of computers and have the ability to learn new software programs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of equipment, cooking methods, measurements, and food safety.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with customers, peers and supervisors; and professionally communicate with multiple levels of employees within the University.
- Must follow written and verbal instructions
- Provide outstanding customer service, including the ability to remain professional and respectful under pressure when dealing with difficult situations, to team and customers.
- Excellence in completing all tasks and performance goals.
- Requires bending, twisting, pulling and pushing. Because of the nature of food service operations and working in a kitchen, you must be able to work in extremely hot and cold conditions.
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds above head and up to 60 pounds on rare occasions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Follow all safety procedures and protocols; incumbent will routinely handle sharp items such as knives and slicer blades as well as be around hot food items, food pans, ovens, fryers, steam tables, grills, etc.
- Ability to use or learn to use email.
Desirable Experience and Training
- Certified Sous Chef (CSC) or higher
- Certified Chef de Cuisine (CCC) or ability to obtain within two years
- Accredited culinary program certificate or Associate Degree in Culinary Arts
- At least 3-5 years cooking experience in high volume or institution production
- At least 3-5 years management experience (planning, forecasting, ordering, budgeting)
- At least 2-4 years of supervisory experience
- Previous experience with a computer food production program such as Cbord.
Why You Should Apply
Contribute to and enrich the quality of life for the campus community and support students’ success. Begin or expand a culinary career in college dining, and receive on the job training from one of our certified chefs. Be part of a team that drives successful business operations and continue a proud tradition of being an award winning campus dining program.
Who We Are
Campus Enterprises is NC State University’s division of retail and hospitality organizations — NC State Dining, NC State Stores, Lonnie Poole Golf Course, NC State Student Centers (Witherspoon and Talley), and the One Card Office. Each unit shares a common goal: deliver quality and efficient services with dedicated financial support for student activity and scholarships. For more information about why you should consider working for Campus Enterprises at NC State, visit our website at https://campusenterprises.ncsu.edu/dept/hr/opportunities/permanent-opportunities/
NC State is among the top 4 employers in North Carolina. Forbes' annual survey of America’s best employers by state places NC State in ninth place in North Carolina. NC State embodies a culture that values collaboration, creativity, innovation, diversity, and teamwork. We provide a team-oriented culture, work/life balance, and work that makes a difference in our community, the state, and beyond.
Anticipated Hiring Range
$53,000 - $60,000
NCSU offers great benefits for SHRA permanent positions working more than 30 hours a week, including healthcare, vacation, holiday and sick leave, retirement and more. You can even join the NC State Wellness and Recreation Center and receive discounted meals on campus.
Number of Hires for this Role
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If the highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.