How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To Apply, Click here.
Michigan Dining is comprised of twenty-one on-campus cafes and markets, nine residential dining halls, a line of Blue to Go foods and the Michigan Catering unit. Our 300 professional and 2000 student employees are committed to creative, healthy and nutritious foods, international cuisines and sustainability throughout all dining operations
The elements of this position include food quality, cost management, procurement, safety, sanitation and staff development. Lead and monitor food and beverage preparation and services. Provide functional supervision of all food service staff. Work through communication and behavior to foster an inclusive workplace. You will report to the Senior General Manager.
To view full job description, click here.
What You'll Do
- Exercise functional supervision over Chef Assistants, Cooks, Bakers and other food service staff including student employees engaged in culinary operations.
- Assign food service personnel to specific tasks and direct food preparation and activities in a manner that uses their culinary skills.
- Oversee food preparation, presentation, portioning and service.
- Recommend changes in cooking methods and adherence to recipes to ensure the quality of food service, taste and service of the food.
- Continually maintains and trains the staff on food and physical safety practices and procedures
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Skills You Have
- Degree in Culinary Arts from an accredited culinary school or apprenticeship program or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience as a chef in a high volume, high quality operation with a variety of concepts.
- Experience and knowledge of culinary techniques, menu planning, recipe and menu development, dining trends, food ordering, budget management, use of general and commercial kitchen equipment, preparation, presentation, and supervision of kitchen personnel.
- Demonstrated knowledge of regional, international and ethnic cuisines.
This role may have reporting obligations under Title IX and Clery.
Authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment and applicants for this position will not be sponsored for work visas.
Salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and education of the selected candidate.
Relocation will not be offered for this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including boosters when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely. More information on this new policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.