It’s About the Food. As the largest self-supported food service department in North Texas, UNT Dining Services offers 5 Dining Halls, 20+ retail venues, an upscale dining restaurant, a hydroponic garden, a central scratch bakery, and catering service—all led by professionally-trained chefs and hospitality experts. UNT is recognized as a national leader in university dining due to the department’s innovative, trendsetting approach to food service and award-winning culinary talent. UNT operates Mean Greens Café, the nation’s first 100% vegan collegiate Dining Hall, and Kitchen West, Texas’ first and only university Dining Hall Certified Free From™ the Big 8 Food Allergens and Gluten Kitchens with Confidence. In early 2021, UNT opened its first standalone Dining Hall, Eagle Landing, inspired by urban food halls and home to seven unique restaurant concepts, all available for a single Meal Plan swipe. UNT was named No. 2 in the nation as a college with the best food by Delish.com and is also the recipient of the prestigious Loyal E. Horton Award and Vegan Recipe Award from the National Association of College and University Food Services. As a founding member of the Menus of Change University Research Collaborative, UNT contributes to groundbreaking research on plant-forward diets, food waste reduction, and consumer food choices while accelerating the implementation of the Menus of Change Principles of Healthy, Sustainable Menus.
The Food Service Manager (Sous Chef) is an entry-level management position that involves the preparation and serving of food in the Residential Dining area. The Food Service Manager is responsible for the quality and quantity of food, and for the general appearance and sanitary cleanliness of the unit. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Assisting with daily operations; inspects, preps, tests, and evaluates all food quality and appearance.
* Assist with development of menus and recipes.
* Establishes operating standards, implements quality improvements and communicates to employees.
* Evaluates procedures and policies to ensure efficient and effective operations.
* Assist with ordering, requisition, inventory of food items and supplies.
* Interviews, hires, trains, and supervises salaried and hourly staff.
* Supervise in sanitation and cleaning of kitchen.
* Participation with development of evaluation goals, objectives, organizational plans and special projects.
* Supports and practices the University and Dining/Retail Services commitment to service.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices