The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
Marketplace General Manager
Application Deadline: 02/08/2020
Organization: Washington and Lee University
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Salary: Minimum $59,706
Apply online at https://apply.interfolio.com/72608. Please direct all correspondence to Ryan Miller, Associate Director of Dining Services.
Washington and Lee University Dining Services serves a campus community of 2,200 students, staff, and faculty and is comprised of our Marketplace Dining Center, five retail locations, sorority dining, as well as a full service catering operation. We are seeking our next innovative and energetic leader to help elevate The Marketplace to the next level and to help shape the future of dining at Washington and Lee. Reporting directly to the Associate Director of Dining Services, this candidate will be responsible for the execution of culinary and service standards, overall management, and strategic direction of the largest dining venue on campus. Join us during this exciting time as we continue to grow, prepare for renovations ,and diligently work to establish the Washington and Lee Dining program as a leader in the collegiate dining industry.
This working restaurant manager position oversees all operations of the Marketplace Dining Center at Washington and Lee University. The Marketplace Manager provides clear leadership for the restaurant, ensuring execution of the vision and goals for the Marketplace Dining Center. This position supports the department's mission by analyzing guest feedback; ensuring safe, healthy, and sustainable food preparations; and creating and sustaining a positive work environment. The Marketplace Manager provides active supervision and oversight for all Marketplace operations with direct supervision of all General Service and Utility Staff.
STATUS: Full-time, 12 Month, With Benefits
WORK HOURS: This position is on a rotating schedule that includes daytime, evening, night, weekend shifts, and extended hours required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling responsibilities and in meeting the needs of Washington and Lee University Dining Services.
MINIMUM PAY: $59,706 / annual
Essential and Related Functions:
- Implements departmental policies and standards of operation within the parameter of the University policies and procedures.
- Implements University personnel policies within the department. Monitors Marketplace personnel activities to ensure compliance. Develops staff schedules per approved budgetary guidelines.
- Implements the menus and service areas developed by the Marketplace Executive Chef(s). Works in a collaborative manner with the Marketplace Executive Chef(s) to develop new service areas, menus and concepts.
- Provides strategic vision and planning for the Marketplace Dining Center. Consistently seek opportunities for growth and improvement in service opportunities. Stays informed on current trends in the foodservice industry and find opportunities to incorporate new and innovative ideas.
- Uses approved accounting and accountability systems and procedures to track operation expenditures at The Marketplace.
- Reviews all financial reports with Associate Director on a monthly basis.
- Helps oversee and implement Marketplace capital improvement projects.
- Monitors the operation of all meal plans. Ensures that all Marketplace staff are educated about the working of all meal plans.
- Coordinates with The Marketplace Executive Chef(s) to plan and execute special event meals in the Marketplace.
- Provides routine coaching to supervisors and subordinates to ensure that Marketplace staff are on the leading edge of the college/university market; all food service staff should have the technical skill levels and resources necessary to operate a contemporary dining service program.
- Participates in Dining Leadership meetings, contributing to overall vision and progress of Washington and Lee Dining Services.
- Approaches issues in the Marketplace within the context of W&L's overall dining landscape. Assists dining leadership in implementing and maintaining programs that stretch across the whole of Dining Services.
- Monitors labor relations within the department to ensure that all personnel are performing to their potential for the benefit of the department. Conducts routine staff meetings to inform all personnel about the status of their performance and ensure clarity of department standards, policies, and directives.
- Implements prescribed service concepts, menu formats, and operating programs with the Marketplace Executive Chef(s) and Associate Director of Dining Services.
- Oversees the hiring process for vacant supervisor, utility, and general services positions in The Marketplace. Reviews applications, conducts interviews, and works with the dining team to recruit and select the best candidates to fill venue needs.
- With the help of The Marketplace supervisors, oversees, assigns, assists and schedules work of all utility and general service staff and supporting front-of-the-house personnel. Creates schedules in coordination with Marketplace Executive Chef(s) to ensure all needs within the Marketplace are met.
- Engages with team members to ensure program quality, provide role modeling, address concerns, and review presentation.
- Provides hands-on coaching, coordinated trainings, and mentoring. Provides consistent feedback and completes team member reviews thoroughly and in a timely manner.
- Works with Associate Director of Dining to establish standards for quality and service, and develop short and long term training programs.
- Meets with The Marketplace Executive Chef(s), students, faculty, staff and public customers daily to assess the quality of food services.
- Assists with catered events on an as needed basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and culinary training are strongly preferred; college or university experience is advantageous. Must have five years' experience in food service, including supervisory responsibilities, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate professionally with co-workers, management, customers, and the University community is essential. Must be able to follow verbal and written directions and provide responses in writing. Proficient computer experience is required; must be able to use Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word software. ServSafe certification or willingness to acquire within a year of employment date. Ability to multitask in a fast paced work environment.
Washington and Lee is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As such, we are interested in candidates who are committed to high standards of scholarship, performance and professionalism and to the development of a campus climate that supports equality and diversity in our faculty, staff and student body. Job description requirements are representative, but not all‐inclusive of the knowledge, skill, and abilities needed to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
Washington and Lee affirms that diverse perspectives and backgrounds enhance our community. We are committed to the recruitment, enrichment, and retention of students, faculty, and staff who embody many experiences, cultures, points of view, interests, and identities. As engaged citizens in a global and diverse society, we seek to advance a positive learning and working environment for all through open and substantive dialogue.