The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Application Deadline: 12/30/2019
Organization: University of California, Berkeley
Location: Berkeley, CA
Salary: Depends on experience
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/1687029
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
At Cal Dining, we believe that “breaking bread together” is a unique aspect of dining on-campus with friends, faculty or staff. Our focus is on nourishing the Cal community, both for physical and social well-being, through customer-driven programs, culinary excellence and campus social responsibility.
Our service philosophy is centered around three key principles:
Flavor & Variety - We are committed to providing great tasting food for every palate. Our award winning program features a wide-variety of seasonal menus and ethnic specialties. We've partnered with top chefs and restaurateurs to bring quality offerings to our locations.
Health & Wellness - As leaders in providing “healthier-for-you” foods, we transitioned to natural, organic and trans-fat free food products and are 99.9% free of partially hydrogenated oils (PHO) in over 4,000 products.
Social Responsibility - We continually strive to do everything possible to minimize our environmental footprint. As a responsible neighbor, we are dedicated to supporting the Cal community, expanding our ecological efforts and encouraging our customers to do the same.
The Cal Dining team aims to be responsive by listening to our customers and responding to each and every customer comment. We demonstrate our commitment to responsibility by being the best possible stewards of our customer's financial resources. We strive to provide best-in-class service, all while upholding the values of the UC Berkeley community.
• Serve as the campus subject matter food expert.
• Consult and advise senior level management, campus clientele, and external stakeholders on all aspects of menus related to food operations and events.
• Create and develop innovative food programs for campus wide food operations including major and/or high level catering events.
• Review new products for residential dining with Directors and unit managers.
• Develop recipes, testing and evaluation.
• Lead the menu committee and provide final approval for campus wide major food operations, including restaurants, athletic and concert venues, and conference centers.
• Provide menu review and analysis to ensure overall food cost targets are met.
• Work in support of the Campus Operational Excellence goals and objectives around procurement to deliver procurement processes that operate and support on the same world class level as UC Berkeley's renowned contributions in research, education, and public service.
• Manage staff to ensure timely, accurate, data and maintenance for: centralized menu management system; vendor relationships, contract compliance, negotiations, appointments and cuttings; online nutrition information, student contact regarding allergies and special dietary needs, etc.
• Manage budgetary responsibility within the cost per meal and cost guidelines.
• Make key decisions regarding food purchases in support of Real Food and Sustainable practices without compromising food cost.
• Represent Cal Dining and RSSP and various committees on campus.
• Meet with vendors and serve on advisory boards and councils promoting dining and recipe development ideas.
• Build relationships with campus and vendor partners.
• Oversee and ensure compliance of food prep to QA standards and safety/security related to handling and preparation of food, third party certification, and recipe and product adherence.
• In collaboration with Directors develop and ensure compliance for sanitation standards to meet all health codes.
• Facilitate quality control programs for optimal product quality.
• Develop and implement exceptional customer service standards.
• Establish culinary goals and vision for all operations.
• Create and provide continuous training to all food production staff and managers in food preparation, presentation, customer service, sanitation and safety.
• Maintain a high quality food production system.
• Responsible for Cal Dining's culinary enrichment program and participates in regional and national interface with NACUFS, training and advocacy for individual and team culinary challenges, catering operations and special events.
• Provide excellent communication and interpersonal skills when interacting with culinary staff, management and external stakeholders.
• Work with staff in blind tastings for new products and evaluates, with input from unit Executive Chefs.
• Host vendors in product testing and sampling.
• Oversee implementation of new product roll out, education and training for unit operations.
• In collaboration with Cal Dining Directors, facilitate training and development of all food production staff and managers in food preparation, allergy awareness, vegan and vegetarian cuisine, new culinary trends, presentation, customer service, sanitation and safety.
• Mentor and coach unit Executive Chefs.
• Lead and participate in the planning and execution of high profile special events on and off campus, using cutting edge techniques and methods.
• Assist in new concept development, equipment analysis and purchasing, kitchen design and workflow management.
• Provide excellent communication and interpersonal skills when interacting with culinary staff and management.
• Handle extremely sensitive events; provides expert level public relations expertise, and utilizes tact, sensitivity, discretion and political acumen skills.
• Provides health and safety training, guidance on safe work practices, provides proper equipment, observes work practices and correct methods and investigates accidents.
• Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk.
• This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
• Expert knowledge in food preparation, nutrition, special needs and sanitation regulations
• Advanced knowledge in food preparation, culinary trends, vegetarian, vegan and raw cuisine, nutrition, special dietary needs, allergy awareness and sanitation regulations.
• Advanced verbal and written communication in the English language, and active listening, dynamic flexibility, critical thinking, and ability to multi-task and ensure effective time management.
• Advanced decision making and reasoning skills, and ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, and perform operations analysis and quality control analysis.
• Advanced skills in effective interpersonal and leadership skills to provide guidance to all levels of personnel.
• Ability to lead and advise in food purchasing contracts, experience in building and maintaining quality vendor relationships.
• Ability to work effectively as a member of the Executive Team as well as inter-departmentally
• Demonstrated skill in leading work groups, managing and supervising complex projects, leading and supervising students.
• Intermediate computer applications skills.
• Culinary Degree or similar training/experience.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training preferred.
• Prior experience in college and university food service operations preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: