The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
Application Deadline: 11/29/2019
Organization: University of Iowa
Location: Iowa City, IA
Salary: $38,000.00 - $42,000.00
All applicants must apply online via the following link in order to be considered:
University of Iowa Dining is committed to quality, meaning food is more than items on a plate, it’s an experience. The University of Iowa Dining team takes pride in providing the best product by using fresh ingredients, developing partnerships with local sources, and committing to food innovation and creativity.
University Dining is seeking multiple Sous Chefs to help with supervision and execution of the production, preparation and presentation of foods. Will be responsible for maintaining quality and cost controls through efficient food preparation. Will also schedule, train, supervise and coordinate the work of assigned staff involved in food preparation and service under the direction of the Chef. Duties to include:
- Participating in and monitoring the preparation and service of foods as instructed and assigned.
- Actively participating in menu planning and recipe development.
- Assisting in controlling food inventory by maintaining par inventory levels in the assigned areas.
- Providing direction, assignments, feedback, coaching and counseling of assigned staff to ensure outcomes are achieved.
- A combination of education and experience that is equivalent to bachelor’s degree in Dietetics, Foods and Nutrition, Institutional Management, Hotel & Restaurant Administration or related field; or completion of a certificate in the Culinary Arts and related experience.
- Experience (typically 6 months – 1 year) in preparation and distribution of foods utilizing the latest techniques and knowledge of trends.
- Experience (typically 6 months – 1 year) in food service management, including supervising and inventory control
- Working proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access) software applications.
- Demonstrated working proficiency in the ability to collaborate and interact with individuals and groups, while appreciating the unique contribution of individuals from a variety of identities.
- Demonstrated working proficiency to lead and coach individuals or groups in learning and improving effectiveness in processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information and needs through appropriate communication methods and behaviors at a working proficiency level.
- Ability to obtain and maintain ServSafe Certification.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to meet the University’s Fleet Safety Program requirements.
- Experience (typically 1-3 years) in personnel supervision.
- Experience in banquet planning, working large-scale food service and retail operations.
- Working knowledge of electronic payroll and timekeeping systems.
- Experience working with a variety of different cultural cuisines.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.