The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
Executive Chef (Annenberg)
Application Deadline: 09/23/2019
Organization: Harvard University
Location: Cambridge, MA
Salary: salary grade 57
Apply Online at http://www.Click2Apply.net/z8cnj4ctrcd734p8
Executive Chef (Annenberg)
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the General Manager, with a dotted line reporting to the Director of Culinary, the Executive Chef provides oversight of the food operation within Annenberg. This position has primary responsibility for all operational aspects of a quality dining program, and for providing maximum customer satisfaction to students, University personnel, faculty, and University guests.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Lead a team of culinary and service staff in the overall management of a dining location and large volume catering in full compliance with all food, occupational safety rules and regulations and customer service expectations.
- Ensures high standards are consistently met via the implementation of all HUDS and University quality assurance policies and procedures related to food, sanitation, equipment and facility maintenance and management, safety, etc.
- Coordinate, plan and supervise the production, plating and presentation of food at all catered events while meeting customer expectations.
- In collaboration with the Senior General Manager, develop and create seasonal menus and food concepts for review with the Senior General Manager.
- Directly responsible for the R&D pertaining to new creative recipes, food concepts and platforms.
- Implement and monitor FoodPro menu and inventory management system including, but not limited to: ensuring cost control and mitigation of loss prevention, completion of weekly inventory audits; maintenance of appropriate inventory levels based on menu needs, etc.
- Develop and maintain positive and professional working relationships with relevant University personnel, students and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure kitchen equipment (i.e.: dishwasher, ovens, refrigeration, exhaust and ventilation systems) is operational. Submits necessary requests for repair if necessary.
- Implement and manage Unit-specific sustainability goals and programs.
Ensure financial viability of labor and food cost through development and management of budget based on realistic goals. Ensure all financial related tasks are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist with the development and management of the annual operational budget which includes, but is not limited to management of P&L's, estimation and management of food and labor cost goals, etc.
- Submit all invoices and PCard documentation per HUDS policy and procedure. Audit and review documents for accuracy prior to submission.
- Ensures all reporting is completed per University standards and all record-keeping is maintained in accordance with University policy.
- Encourages creative approaches to improved financial viability including cost reduction initiatives and other related efforts.
- HS Diploma or equivalent and specialized training in Culinary Arts.
- 5 years of related culinary management and experience in developing a quality food program in a restaurant or hospitality environment.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal) skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage competing priorities.
- Must be adaptable to a frequently changing environment and ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Ability to become ServSafe Certified within six months of employment.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays and be on-call as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Operational knowledge of industrial kitchen equipment (dishwasher, oven, ventilation systems, etc.).
- Operational experience with a variety of food service applications and computerized menu management systems. Ability to learn and adapt to new systems and applications as needed.
- Works professionally, ethically and with integrity; Uphold the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- Good professional judgment and ability to independently make sound business decisions.
- Skilled at addressing a variety situations and negotiating successful outcomes with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- A passion for food and knowledge of current food trends.
- Strong record of business acumen including financial and human resource management.
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree in Culinary Arts or related field preferred.
- Experience managing in a unionized environment.
- Knowledge of Kronos timekeeping software or similar system.
- Knowledge of FoodPro Menu Management system.
Employee and Labor Management
Provide leadership and direction to a diverse team of unionized, non-exempt workforce as well as two exempt level Chef's. Develop and maintain a positive and collaborative working environment that promotes, open communication, consistency, fairness and opportunities for continuous learning while achieving the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- Responsible for developing Chef de Cuisine and Sous Chef through weekly production meetings and 1:1's. Take the lead on providing milestone experiences to enhance their opportunity to prepare them for larger responsibilities within HUDS.
- Develop and maintain positive, professional relationships with staff via regular meetings, two-way communication, timely feedback, collaboration, and consistent visibility in the work unit.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with Union Shop Stewards.
- Interview candidates and hire based on approved budget and staffing pattern. Complete probationary employee evaluation form as required. Complete annual performance evaluations for exempt staff as assigned.
- Ensures performance expectations and work rules are clearly communicated and implemented via regular coaching, mentoring and regular staff meetings.
- In consultation with Human Resources, imposes corrective action measures as needed while complying with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and University policy and procedure.
- In collaboration with Human Resources and HUDS Management, ensures employment practices are compliant with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement and all University personnel policy and procedures.
- Participates in grievance hearings and arbitrations. Submits answers to grievances per the timelines outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Ensure Kronos timekeeping system is accurately and regularly maintained. Process timecards and absence requests in a timely manner and per HUDS policy and procedure.
- In collaboration with HUDS' culinary team, develop and implement relevant trainings to increase knowledge and ability of cooks and other Unit staff.
- Assist with the development and implementation of new policies and procedures.
Emergency Status Designation: Critical Personnel
Hospitality & Dining Services
USA - MA - Cambridge
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, DMV, Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/z8cnj4ctrcd734p8