The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
Chef de Cuisine (Eliot/Kirkland)
Application Deadline: 09/22/2019
Organization: Harvard University
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138
Salary: salary grade 051
Chef de Cuisine (Eliot/Kirkland)
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the General Manager, the Chef de Cuisine provides culinary oversight to two or more residential dining facilities. This position has primary responsibility for the culinary aspects of a quality dining service program, and for providing maximum customer satisfaction to students, Faculty Deans, faculty and University guests.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Lead non-exempt culinary team for at least two Residential dining halls in full compliance with all food, occupational safety rules and regulations and customer service expectations.
- Ensures high standards are consistently met via the implementation of all HUDS and University quality assurance policies and procedures related to food, sanitation, equipment and facility maintenance and management, safety, etc.
- Ensures the preparation and presentation of high quality food in accordance with the established menu while meeting target meal costs.
- Implement and monitor FoodPro menu and inventory management system including, but not limited to: ensuring cost control and mitigation of loss prevention, completion of weekly inventory audits; maintenance of appropriate inventory levels based on menu needs, etc.
- In collaboration with HUDS' culinary team, assist with the development of the Residential cycle menus and recipes.
- Participate in weekly HUDS production meetings, tastings, etc.
- Plan and execute simple to complex catered indoor and outdoor events including, but not limited to house events, campus-wide events and commencement week events.
- Ensure kitchen equipment and related physical space (i.e.: dishwasher, ovens, refrigeration, exhaust and ventilation systems) is operational and in good repair. Submits requests for repair if necessary.
- Develop and maintain positive and professional relationships with students. Provide outstanding customer service and ensure specialty diets and other nutritional needs are met.
- Develop and maintain positive and professional working relationships with Faculty Deans and other House personnel, students and other internal and external stakeholders.
- In collaboration with Management team, implement and manage Unit-specific sustainability goals and programs.
In collaboration with the Management team, ensure financial viability of assigned Units through development and management of budgets based on realistic goals. Ensure all financial related tasks are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist with developing and managing the annual operational budget which includes, but is not limited to management of MORS, estimation and management of food and labor cost goals, etc.
- Submit all invoices and PCard documentation per HUDS policy and procedure. Audit and review documents for accuracy prior to submission.
- Ensures all reporting is completed per University standards and all record-keeping is maintained in accordance with University policy.
- Encourages creative approaches to improved financial viability including cost reduction initiatives and other related efforts.
- HS Diploma or equivalent and specialized training in Culinary Arts.
- Minimum of five years progressive culinary management and experience in developing a quality food program in a collegiate residential and/or restaurant environment.
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree in Culinary Arts.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Operational knowledge of industrial kitchen equipment (dishwasher, oven, ventilation systems, etc.).
- Operational experience with a variety of food service applications and computerized menu management systems.
- Experience managing in a unionized environment.
- A passion for food and knowledge of current food trends.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal) skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team of exempt professionals.
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage competing priorities.
- Good professional judgment and ability to independently make sound decisions.
- Skilled at addressing a variety situations and negotiating successful outcomes with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Must be adaptable to a frequently changing environment and ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Works professionally, ethically and with integrity; Uphold the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- Knowledge of Kronos timekeeping software or similar system.
- Knowledge of FoodPro Menu Management system.
- Ability to become ServSafe Certified within six months of employment.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays and be on-call as needed.
Employee and Labor Management
Provide leadership and direction to a diverse unionized, non-exempt workforce. Develop and maintain a positive and collaborative working environment that promotes, open communication, consistency, fairness and opportunities for continuous learning while achieving the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- Develop and maintain positive, professional relationships with culinary and front line service staff via two-way communication, timely feedback, collaboration, and consistent visibility in the kitchen and work unit.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with Union Shop Stewards.
- Interview candidates and hire based on approved staffing pattern and budget. Complete probationary employee evaluation form as required.
- In collaboration with HUDS' culinary team, develop and implement relevant trainings to increase knowledge and ability of cooks and other kitchen staff.
- Ensure performance expectations and work rules are clearly communicated and implemented via regular coaching, mentoring and regular staff meetings.
- Imposes corrective action measures as needed while complying with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and University policy and procedure.
- Participates in grievance hearings and arbitrations. Submits answers to grievances per the timelines outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- In collaboration with Management Team, ensure Kronos timekeeping system is accurately and regularly maintained. Process timecards and absence requests in a timely manner and per HUDS policy and procedure.
- Assist with the development and implementation of new policies and procedures.
Emergency Status Designation: Critical Personnel
Hospitality & Dining Services
USA - MA - Cambridge
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, DMV, Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/sj79dvzrfx86hhff
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.