The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
Operations Manager, Culinary Support Group
Application Deadline: 02/21/2019
Organization: Harvard University
Location: Cambridge, MA
Business Title :
Operations Manager, Culinary Support Group 47813BR
Applicants MUST submit an application on Harvard Careers to be considered.
Duties & Responsibilities :
- Manage the food ordering and inventory process using HUDS' food management and procurement system (Food Pro) to meet all departmental requirements.
- Order proper amount of inventory (food, beverage, etc.) Based on accurate forecasting.
- Accurately complete the Food Pro forecasting process per established process or as directed by the Food Pro Administrator.
- Arrange for replacement products for run outs or when a delivery is not timely.
- Weekly, inventory all food beverage and other supplies and correctly enter into Food Pro. Thoroughly review the inventory analysis and make necessary changes before the inventory is closed out.
- Check daily purchase requisitions and make appropriate changes prior to the deadlines determined by Procurement and the CSG.
- Print out daily receiving log and all add-ons for receiver to check against invoices and e-mail directives.
- Within the Food Pro week, ensure all food and paper items, which have been sent to receiving location(s), are correctly billed or transferred to the appropriate unit(s).
- Maintain Food Pro production sheets.
- Ensure that culinary staff are following production sheets and not over-producing or wasting food.
- Manage the loading dock and all receiving personnel working the dock at 80 JFK Street to meet receiving requirements.
- Ensure receivers' schedules are posted at least 7 days in advance of the beginning of the work week.
- Submit overtime sheets to the General Manager for approval prior to authorization of overtime.
- Ensure the organization and cleanliness of dock to allow for maximum utilization of space during peak delivery periods.
- Ensure spill-kit supplies are available and within easy access so spills may be contained immediately.
- Ensure adequate supplies of all receiving tools are always on hand to cover delivery period i.e. Day Dots, Use First labels, Bold Black Markers, HACCP Receiving Sheet to record all temperatures, thermometer
- Complete all daily paperwork (receiving reports and add-ons) for expected deliveries is in designated area.
- Ensure all receivers are in compliance with the HUDS and HACCP receiving standards.
- Communicate daily with Procurement via e-mail of all shorts, quality and delivery time issues, etc.
Employee & Labor Management
Provide leadership and direction to a diverse unionized, non-exempt workforce. Develop and maintain a positive and collaborative working environment that promotes, open communication, consistency, fairness and opportunities for continuous learning while achieving the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- Develop and maintain positive, professional relationships with culinary and front-line service staff via two-way communication, timely feedback, collaboration, and consistent visibility in the kitchen.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with Union Shop Stewards.
- Interview candidates and hire based on approved staffing pattern and budget. Complete probationary employee evaluation form as required.
- In collaboration with HUDS' culinary team, develop and implement relevant trainings to increase knowledge and ability of cooks and other kitchen staff.
- Ensure performance expectations and work rules are clearly communicated and implemented via regular coaching, mentoring and regular staff meetings.
- In consultation with Human Resources, impose corrective action measures as needed while complying with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and University policy and procedure.
- Participate in grievance hearings and arbitrations. Submits answers to grievances per the timelines outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Ensure employee schedules are posted seven days prior to beginning of work week
Basic Qualifications :
- HS Diploma or equivalent with a minimum of five years progressive management in a high volume food production environment; experience with cook-chill processes and HACCP, and with Food Pro preferred.
- Demonstrated experience managing a staff; managing in a union environment preferred.
- Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal) skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Ability to become ServSafe Certified within six months of employment.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays and be on-call as needed.
Additional Qualifications :
- Must have strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills in order to manage competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team of exempt professionals.
- Must have strong judgment and skilled at addressing a variety situations and negotiating successful outcomes with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Must be adaptable to a frequently changing environment and ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Works professionally, ethically and with integrity; uphold the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Operational knowledge of industrial kitchen equipment (dishwasher, oven, ventilation systems, etc.).
- Operational experience with a variety of food service applications and computerized menu management systems. Ability to learn and adapt to new systems and applications as needed.
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree in Culinary Arts.
- Experience managing in a unionized environment.
- Knowledge of Kronos timekeeping software or similar system.
- Knowledge of FoodPro Menu Management system.
Additional Information :
- Ensure the CSG meets its budgeted food and labor cost and that our food cost goals and results are communicated to the CSG staff.
- Submit overtime sheets to the Culinary Director for approval prior to authorization of overtime.
Health and Safety Management
- Ensure temperature logs are accurate.
- Ensure all receiving staff are taking and recording temperatures according to HUDS and City of Cambridge guidelines.
- Ensure all HACCP logs are completed accurately and files are stored in binders correctly.
- In accordance with HUDS standards, ensure the cleanliness and sanitation of the storerooms, refrigerators, freezers, and loading dock.
- Prepare and post cleaning schedules for BOH staff.
Other Operational Management
- Responsible for the maintenance of the HUDS Vehicle Protocol & Standard Operating Procedures.
- Manage all drivers to meet all distribution requirements.
- Prior to leaving each day, post a daily production sheet for drivers beside time clock.
- Ensure drivers have correct transfer sheets for their orders.
- Address all performance issues with the drivers in writing when necessary. Inform the Culinary Director and Human Resources Director of any issues.
Additional Information :
Emergency Status Designation:Critical Personnel