Culinary Assistant (full-time)
About College of the Holy Cross:
Founded in 1843 in Worcester, Massachusetts, the College of the Holy Cross is among the nation's leading liberal arts institutions. A highly selective, four-year, exclusively undergraduate college of 3,000 students, Holy Cross is renowned for offering a rigorous, personalized education in the Jesuit, Catholic tradition.
Holy Cross highly values the unique skills, perspective, talents and passion that each employee contributes to its learning community. To work at The College is to accept an invitation to participate in the growth and development of all campus members, students, faculty and staff. The College's commitment to diversity is an important feature of the Holy Cross education. Informed by the presence of diverse interpretations of the human experience, Holy Cross is building a community marked by freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support our values of diversity and inclusiveness. Job candidates of all ethnic, racial and religious backgrounds who embrace the open and inclusive culture of Holy Cross are welcome and encouraged to apply.
Perform various culinary duties to provide meals and services to students and guests following exact menu and recipe specifications with established practices and procedures. Responsibilities include food preparation, cook-to-order line service, station set-up, stocking, rotating product and maintaining a clean safe area following sanitation and food allergy regulations and safety standards. Responsibilities also include the operation of various standard equipment; turbo vector, impinger, deck, rotisserie and convection ovens, slicers, mixers, choppers, flat-top and Panini grills, deep fryers, induction display cooking units, rice/pasta steamers. Other responsibilities include assisting in the set-up, execution and clean-up of catered events and performing other similar tasks as required or requested. Annual certification training required in both ServSafe Food Safety and Food Allergy Awareness.
• Work from established food production, planning and control operating systems-FoodPro for pre-established practices for food preparation and service.
• Communicates with guests in a friendly, efficient manner following outlined steps of service. Resolves any complaints in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
• Assist customers with special orders when needed.
• Oversees on-call staff, student captains/workers and temps with routine tasks.
• Have the ability to work safely and effectively with various types of foods that may contain allergens such as wheat, eggs, nuts, tree nuts, dairy, fish, shellfish and soy.
• Participate and practice in annual training classes involving sanitation, customer service, team building, food allergy awareness and other required training mandated by the Human Resource Department.
• Have production/service unit set-up for established hours of operation.
• Greet and receive orders from guests through verbal orders, FoodPro orders or mobile apps. Prepare orders following sanitation and food allergy established practices and procedures.
• Communicate defective or unsafe equipment/products as well as unusual situations to managers and supervisors.
• Follow standardized recipes, maintain food temperature logs and accurately complete daily service records for inventory.
• Stock and maintain all other food and beverage items and units.
• Assist in special functions as needed.
• Accurately complete service records and inventory data for Food-Pro systems.
• Ability to frequently lift up to 25 pounds; occasionally lift up to 50-100 pounds with assistance.
• Comply with all safety and risk management practices, policies and procedures. Maintain work area in a neat and orderly manner.
• Ability to succeed in a high-pressure environment.
• Ability to communicate with guests, co-workers and other members of the college community with professionalism and respect.
• Perform other similar or related duties as required or requested.
Available Positions & Shifts
• Hogan Campus Center: Sunday-Thursday, 2:30PM-11PM. This position is a 40 hour per week, 40 week per year position (primarily not scheduled during summer months and student breaks). Ref #1561.
• Hogan Campus Center: Tuesday-Saturday, 3:30pm-11pm. This position is a 40 hour per week, year-round. Ref #3239.
• Hogan Campus Center: Monday-Friday, 7:30am-4pm. This position is a 40 hour per week, 40 week per year position (primarily not scheduled during summer months and student breaks). Ref #3114.
• Kimball Main: Wednesday-Saturday, 1pm-8:30pm. This position is considered full-time and is 28 hours per week, 40 weeks per year (primarily not scheduled during summer months and student breaks). Ref #3050.
• Kimball Main: Fri/Sat/Sun, 6am-2:30pm, and Monday, 10:30am-2:30pm. This position is considered full-time and is 28 hours per week, 44 weeks per year (primarily not scheduled during summer months and student breaks). Ref #1461
• Kimball Main: Fri/Sat/Sun, 12:30pm-9pm, and Thursday, 4:30pm-8:30pm. This position is considered full-time and is 28 hours per week, 40 weeks per year (primarily not scheduled during summer months and student breaks). Ref #1462
• Kimball Main: Sunday-Thursday, 12:00pm-8:30pm. This position is considered full-time and is 40 hours per week, year-round. Ref #1623
• Kimball Main: Varying Schedule. This position is considered full time and is 40 hours per week, year-round. Ref #2723
• Kimball Main: Mon/Tue, 10:30am-8:00pm, Wed/Thurs, 11:00am-8:00pm, Fri, 10:30am-3:30pm. This position is considered full time and is 40 hours per week, 40 weeks per year (primarily not scheduled during summer months and student breaks). Ref #1470
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the ongoing implications of the COVID-19 pandemic and the operational needs of the College, shifts are subject to change.
• Up to two years related work experience preferred.
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• ServSafe Food Safety Certification or training is required. If training is not up-to-date, training/certification must be completed upon 3-6 months from date of hire.
• Food allergy training is essential and prior experience in special food allergy meal preparation is preferred. If candidate does not have prior experience, the necessary training must be completed upon hiring. Initial training will include a review of information, departmental responsibilities and a recap of the Food Allergy Program.
• Excellent customer service and appropriate communication skills are needed in order to provide a welcoming, professional and safe environment for students and guests. Upon hiring the following additional training must be completed on a yearly basis: Title IX Harassment Prevention training and Data Security Awareness training
To prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, and as an integral part of its public health and safety measures, College of the Holy Cross requires that all successful applicants show proof of full vaccination by an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine before beginning employment, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted. Applicants believing they need an accommodation of this policy because of a disability, sincerely-held religious belief, or otherwise should inform Human Resources after an offer of employment is extended; please do not include any medical, genetic, or religious information on your application materials.
This position is classified as non-exempt level position for purposes of the federal wage and hour law.
The College is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and complies with all Federal and Massachusetts laws concerning Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action in the workplace.
A member of the Higher Education Consortium of Central Massachusetts (HECCMA).
Holy Cross Benefits at A Glance:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jJO-vAoRMLKmrjrqZ7vDrm-89yzBKdw0/view
Please attach resume and cover letter if possible, otherwise, please submit an online application.
In your cover letter please address how your work might support the College's mission as a Jesuit, undergraduate liberal arts college (see http://www.holycross.edu/mission) and its core commitment to diversity and inclusion. Please provide examples of any past work that illuminate your commitments in these areas. For more information, please visit http://holycross.edu/diversity.
Should you be a candidate for further consideration after hiring manager review, you will be contacted by a human resources representative.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2708146
The College of the Holy Cross is a highly selective Catholic liberal arts college in the Jesuit tradition. It enrolls about 3,000 students and is located in a medium-sized city 45 miles west of Boston. The College seeks faculty members whose scholarship, teaching, advising, and on- and off-campus service demonstrate commitment to the educational benefits of a richly diverse community. Holy Cross aspires to meet the needs of dual-career couples, in part through its membership in Higher Education Consortium of Central Massachusetts (http://www.heccma.org) and the New England Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (https://new-england.hercjobs.org/)
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.